Investing in our Communities
In Tennessee, we invested nearly $1.4 billion in our wireless and wireline network infrastructure from 2020-2022 to connect more people to greater possibility.
Cities and communities throughout Tennessee are seeing the impacts of this investment, including:
- Nearly $525 million in the Nashville region,
- Nearly $175 million in the Knoxville region, and
- Nearly $45 million in the Chattanooga region.
We know how important it is for our customers to stay connected through life’s defining moments, whether you’re celebrating or grieving, learning or working, creating or sharing. That’s why we’re focused on boosting network reliability and capacity as we expand our network. We’re working to help residents get the best possible AT&T experience wherever they live, work and play.
Committed to expanding connectivity, our investment focuses on all facets of the network —including fiber, 5G and FirstNet,® Built with AT&T.
- Expanding Access to Fiber: To help meet the demands for reliable, high-speed connections today – and in the future – we’re investing in our fiber network.1 With more than 4 million strand-miles of fiber optics in Tennessee, AT&T Fiber®is now available to more than 900,000 customer locations in and around Alcoa, Arlington, Ashland City, Athens, Bartlett, Belle Meade, Berry Hill, Brentwood, Chattanooga, Clarksville, Cleveland, Collierville, Columbia, Dickson, Fairview, Forest Hills, Fort Oglethorpe, Franklin, Gallatin, Gatlinburg, Germantown, Goodlettsville, Greenbrier, Henderson, Hendersonville, Horn Lake, Jackson, Jefferson City, Knoxville, La Follette, La Vergne, Lakeland, Lebanon, Lenoir City, Loudon, Maryville, Memphis, Millersville, Morristown, Murfreesboro, Nashville, Oak Hill, Oak Ridge, Oakland, Pleasant View, Portland, Sevierville, Seymour, Shelbyville, Smyrna, Southaven, Spring Hill, Springfield, Sweetwater, Thompson’s Station, Tullahoma, White House, and Winchester.
- Beyond Tennessee, our fiber is available to 19.7M consumers and more than 3M business customer locations in 100+ U.S. metro areas.
- AT&T Fiber provides speed, reliability and value for consumers and businesses to enhance their internet experience for applications like video conferencing, virtual learning, telehealth, gaming and more.
- Unlocking the Power of 5G: AT&T is America’s Most Reliable 5G Network2, connecting hundreds of millions of Americans to what matters most to them.
- From rural communities to urban areas, our overall wireless voice and data network covers more than 99% of all Americans, including Tennessee.
- We’re working with businesses from manufacturing to healthcare to create new innovations and increase efficiencies with AT&T 5G.
- We’re ramping up performance in high traffic areas, including airports, stadiums and venues, including Nashville International Airport.
- With 5G+ available in Nashville, Knoxville and Chattanooga, we’re also expanding our 5G network in less densely populated areas so people in communities such as Jackson, Pulaski and Sevierville there can have access to reliable connectivity.
- Supporting First Responders by Expanding the Nation’s Public Safety Network: As America’s public safety communications partner, we’re giving more of the public safety community access to their network. With FirstNet, we’re helping connect first responders in nearly 200 communities across the state.
- FirstNet includes unique benefits for first responders like always-on priority and preemption, high-quality Band 14 spectrum and a one-of-a-kind 5G experience to keep public safety mission ready.
- We’ve rolled out Band 14 on more than 1,300 sites across Tennessee to provide public safety with truly dedicated coverage and capacity when they need it. Areas currently benefiting from Band 14 include Memphis, Nashville, Davidson, Knoxville, Bristol, Kingsport, Johnson City, and Chattanooga and Lake, Cannon, Macon, Hamblen, Fayette, Giles, Bledsoe, and Johnson counties.
At AT&T, we believe every American should be connected to the internet and we’re working with governments and non-profit organizations to make it happen. We’re on track to deliver on our $2B commitment between 2021-2023 to help bridge the digital divide and tackle barriers to broadband access, adoption and affordability.
- We’re committed to providing affordable service for low-income households. The Access from AT&T plan– when combined with the federal Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP) – can provide no-cost home internet service for eligible households.3,4
- We created AT&T Connected Learning to invest in digital inclusion, digital literacy and digital learning solutions to help today’s students and their families succeed wherever they learn – at home, in the community and in the classroom.
- With 23 Connected Learning Centers already open across the U.S., we’ve announced plans to reach 50 total centers nationwide, including at Boys & Girls Clubs.
- In Tennessee, we’ve held 12 digital literacy workshops as part of our commitment to help bridge the digital divide.
Good news is always great to share. Here are a few highlights from the last year in Tennessee:
- April 10, 2023 – AT&T Boosts Network Speeds for Maury County – AT&T Connects (attconnects.com)
- May 2, 2023 – AT&T Boosts Network Speeds for Hamilton County – AT&T Connects (attconnects.com)
- June 2, 2023 | AT&T Boosts Network Speeds for Fayette County: AT&T customers and FirstNet® subscribers in Fayette County got a big boost in wireless connectivity. A new cell tower will enhance the area’s coverage and help give residents and first responders faster, more reliable wireless service. Our investment is helping improve internet access and ensuring customers get the most out of their mobile devices. This new site will enhance AT&T’s coverage and capacity along Jernigan Drive and in surrounding areas east of Somerville. Read more.
- June 2, 2023 | AT&T Boosts Network Speeds for Montgomery County: AT&T has expanded its 5G network in Montgomery County, giving residents, businesses and visitors a big boost in their wireless connectivity. This new site will enhance AT&T’s coverage and capacity on Highway 13 in southwestern Montgomery County and in northeastern portions of Houston County, TN. Read more.
- July 21, 2023 | AT&T Boosts Network Speeds for Humphreys County: AT&T has expanded its 5G network in Humphreys County, giving residents, businesses and visitors a big boost in their wireless connectivity. A new cell tower will enhance AT&T’s coverage and capacity in areas along U.S. Highway 70 between Waverly and Denver. Read more.
- August 24, 2023 | AT&T Contributes $26,500 to Conexión Américas: AT&T is continuing its efforts to connect people with opportunities through a $26,500 contribution to Conexión Américas, which will help underwrite a series of digital literacy classes for Spanish-speaking immigrant adults in the Nashville region. Read more.
To keep up with all the latest updates from AT&T Tennessee, follow us on Twitter @ATTPublicPolicy.
1 Internet speed claims represent maximum wired network service capability speeds to the home & recommended setup. Actual customer speeds are not guaranteed. Single device wired speed maximum 4.7Gbps. For more info go to https://www.att.com/speed101.
2 Based on nationwide GWS drive test data. GWS conducts paid drive tests for AT&T and uses the data in its analysis. AT&T 5G requires compatible plan and device. 5G not available everywhere. Visit att.com/5Gforyou for details.
3 Plans up to 100Mbps. Limited availability/areas. Free internet subject to household’s continued ACP eligibility and application of the ACP benefit to Access from AT&T plans.
4 Limit of one ACP benefit per household.
*AT&T 5G requires compatible plan and device. 5G not available everywhere. 5G+ is offered in limited locations in specific cities. Wireless technology varies by device. Go to att.com/5Gforyou for details.
*FirstNet and the FirstNet logo are registered trademarks and service marks of the First Responder Network Authority. All other marks are the property of their respective owners.
We help more than 100 million U.S. families, friends and neighbors, plus nearly 2.5 million businesses, connect to greater possibility. From the first phone call 140+ years ago to our 5G wireless and multi-gig internet offerings today, we @ATT innovate to improve lives. For more information about AT&T Inc. (NYSE:T), please visit us at about.att.com. Investors can learn more at investors.att.com.