AT&T Investments Connect Communities
In Texas, we invested more than $7 billion in our wireless and wireline networks from 2019-2021.
Cities and communities throughout Texas are impacted by this investment, including:
- More than $20 million in Abilene
- Nearly $60 million in Amarillo
- Nearly $500 million in Austin-Round Rock-San Marcos
- More than $70 million in Beaumont-Port Arthur
- More than $50 million in Brownsville-Harlingen
- Nearly $90 million in Corpus Christi
- Nearly $3.3 billion in Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington
- Nearly $110 million in El Paso
- More than $1.2 billion in Houston-Sugar Land-Baytown
- More than $50 million in Lubbock
- More than $70 million in McAllen-Edinburg-Mission
- More than $60 million in Midland
- Nearly $600 million in San Antonio-New Braunfels
- More than $8.8 million in Texarkana (Texas and Arkansas)
- More than $15 million in Tyler
- More than $35 million in Waco
We know how important it is for our customers to stay connected. That’s why we’re focused on boosting network reliability and capacity as we expand our network nationwide. This helps residents get the best possible experience over the AT&T network where they live, work and play, as well as supporting first responders on FirstNet®.
We are also working closely with local communities and government leaders in Texas to expand access to high-speed internet. By combining the resources of the government and private sector, together we can fast-track the closing of the digital divide regardless of income or zip code. Read more about these great public-private partnerships in:
Committed to expanding connectivity, our investment focuses on all facets of the network —from fiber to 5G and FirstNet.
- Expanding Access to Fiber: To meet the demands for reliable, high-speed connections today – and in the future – we are investing in our fiber network. AT&T Fiber® is available to 17 million customer locations across our 21-state footprint – and offers speeds of up to 5-Gigs1 with equal upload and download across parts of its 100+ metros, including parts of Abilene, Amarillo, Fort Worth, Lubbock, McAllen, Tyler-Longview and Victoria. We are marching toward our fiber expansion goal to cover 30 million customer locations across our footprint by year-end 2025. AT&T Fiber provides premium speed, reliability, security, and next gen Wi-Fi for consumers and businesses to enhance their internet experience for applications like video conferencing, virtual learning, smart home devices, telehealth, gaming and more. AT&T made fiber available in more than 300,000 new locations in Texas in 2021, and today, more than 3.9 million customer locations in the state have access to AT&T Fiber.
Customers can stay up to date on when AT&T Fiber is available to their address through att.com/notifyme.
- Affordability with Access from AT&T: AT&T is dedicated to making home internet more affordable for low-income households through its Access from AT&T program, which now provides new internet plans with up to 100 Mbps for $30 a month.2 When eligible households apply the Affordable Connectivity Program’s (ACP) federal benefit of up to $30/month (or up to $75/month on qualifying Tribal lands) to their Access plan, they can get their internet for free.3
- Unlocking the Power of 5G: AT&T is America’s Most Reliable 5G Network4. AT&T currently offers 3 flavors of 5G*, which helps enable the network to reach its full potential. Here’s how they work:
- AT&T 5G using low-band spectrum offers fast speeds and reaches more than 277 million people in more than 18,000 cities and towns in the U.S.
- AT&T 5G+ recently introduced mid-band spectrum in limited parts of metros nationwide, including in Austin, Dallas and Houston. This spectrum sits between our other 2 bands. The mid-band spectrum provides a great combination of ultra-fast speeds and wide geographic coverage.
- AT&T 5G+ using high-band (millimeter wave) spectrum delivers super-fast speeds and unprecedented performances in high traffic areas including parts of more than 40 cities and 40 stadiums and venues nationwide.
- Supporting First Responders by Expanding the Nation’s Public Safety Network: FirstNet, Built with AT&T, is the only nationwide, high-speed broadband network built with and for America’s first responders. Today, we cover nearly all of Texas with FirstNet – helping to connect public safety agencies and organizations in thousands of sites across the state. It provides America’s first responders and the extended public safety community with truly dedicated coverage and capacity when they need it. FirstNet includes unique benefits like always-on priority and preemption, high-quality Band 14 spectrum and a one-of-a-kind 5G experience to keep public safety mission ready.
Here are a few highlights of the enhancements we’ve made in Texas in the last few years:
- In 2021, AT&T completed more than 1,000 wireless network upgrades and turned up over 200 new cell sites in Texas. These network improvements will enhance the state’s broadband coverage and help give residents, businesses and first responders faster, more reliable service.
1 Limited availability in select areas. Internet speed claims represent maximum wired network service capability speeds to the home and recommended setup. Actual customer speeds are not guaranteed. Single device wired speed maximum 4.7Gbps. For more information go to www.att.com/speed101
2 Access from AT&T is available only in the AT&T 21-state wireline footprint. You’ll receive the maximum speed available at your address. $30 Access plan includes unlimited data for households with speeds up to 100Mbps. $5 and $10 Access plans include 150GB or 1TB of data allowance per month depending on type & speed of service. You will be charged $10 for each add’l 50GB of data usage if you exceed your monthly data allowance, even if less than 50 gigabytes is used. For more information, go to att.com/internet-usage.
3 Terms, conditions and restrictions apply. Free with Access from AT&T 12-100Mbps plans only.
4 AT&T awarded Best Network by GWS OneScore 2021. GWS conducts paid drive tests for AT&T and uses the data in its OneScore analysis. AT&T 5G requires compatible plan and device. 5G not available everywhere. Go to att.com/5Gforyou for details.
* To experience AT&T 5G+, you’ll need to be in a 5G+ coverage area, have a 5G+ capable device, and be on one of our plans that include 5G and 5G+ access at no extra charge. See att.com/unlimited for more details.
® FirstNet and the FirstNet logo are registered trademarks and service marks of the First Responder Network Authority. All other marks are the property of their respective owners.
About AT&T Communications
We help family, friends and neighbors connect in meaningful ways every day. From the first phone call 140+ years ago to mobile video streaming, we @ATT innovate to improve lives. AT&T Communications is part of AT&T Inc. (NYSE:T). For more information, please visit us at att.com.