- March 16, 2023 | In 2022, we launched a total of 80 new coverage sites in Illinois to help continue providing connection where it’s needed most. New sites came online in the following counties:
AT&T Investments Connect Communities
In Illinois, we invested more than $3.1 billion in our wireless and wireline networks from 2019-2021.
Cities and communities throughout Illinois are impacted by this investment, including:
- More than $2.1 billion in the Chicago market
We know how important it is for our customers to stay connected. That’s why we’re focused on boosting network reliability and capacity as we expand our network nationwide. This helps residents get the best possible experience over the AT&T network where they live, work and play, as well as supporting first responders on FirstNet®.
We are also working closely with local communities and government leaders in Illinois to expand access to fast and reliable internet. By combining the resources of the government and private sector, we can fast-track the closing of the digital divide regardless of income or zip code.
Committed to expanding connectivity, our investment focuses on all facets of the network—from fiber to 5G and FirstNet.
- Expanding Access to Fiber: To meet the demands for reliable, high-speed connections today – and in the future – we are investing in our fiber network. AT&T Fiber® is now available to 17 million customer locations across our 21-state footprint – and offers speeds of up to 5-Gigs1 with equal upload and download. We are marching toward our fiber expansion goal to cover 30 million customer locations across our footprint by year-end 2025. In Illinois, AT&T Fiber is available in more than 90 communities across the state including Chicago, Champaign-Urbana, Springfield, Oak Park, Aurora, Naperville, Waukegan and Joliet. AT&T Fiber provides speed, bandwidth, reliability and security for consumers and businesses to enhance their internet experience for applications like video conferencing, virtual learning, telehealth, gaming and more.
- Affordability with Access from AT&T: AT&T is dedicated to making home internet more affordable for low-income households through its Access from AT&T program, which now provides new internet plans with up to 100 Mbps for $30 a month.2 When eligible households apply the Affordable Connectivity Program’s (ACP) federal benefit of up to $30/month (or up to $75/month on qualifying Tribal lands) to their Access from AT&T plan, they can get their internet for free.3
- Unlocking the Power of 5G: AT&T is America’s Most Reliable 5G Network4. AT&T currently offers 3 flavors of 5G*, which helps enable the network to reach its full potential. Here’s how they work:
- AT&T 5G using low-band spectrum offers fast speeds and reaches more than 277 million people in more than 18,000 cities and towns in the U.S.
- AT&T 5G+ recently introduced mid-band spectrum in limited parts of 8 metros nationwide, including Chicago. This spectrum sits between our other 2 bands. The mid-band spectrum provides a great combination of ultra-fast speeds and wide geographic coverage.
- AT&T 5G+ using high-band (millimeter wave) spectrum delivers super-fast speeds and unprecedented performances in high traffic areas in parts of more than 45 cities and 40 stadiums and venues nationwide including the City of Chicago, the United Center, O’Hare International and Midway International airports.
- Supporting First Responders by Expanding the Nation’s Public Safety Network: FirstNet, Built with AT&T, is the only nationwide, high-speed broadband network built with and for America’s first responders. Today, we cover all of Illinois with FirstNet – helping to connect public safety agencies and organizations in more than 340 communities across the state. It provides America’s first responders and the extended public safety community with truly dedicated coverage and capacity when they need it. FirstNet includes unique benefits like always-on priority and preemption, high-quality Band 14 spectrum – which has been deployed on more than 1,500 sites across Illinois – and a one-of-a-kind 5G experience to keep public safety mission ready.
Here are a few highlights of the enhancements we’ve made in Illinois in the last few years:
- March 21, 2022 | FirstNet, Built with AT&T is connecting more first responders across Illinois. Today, we cover the entire state with FirstNet, Built with AT&T – helping to connect public safety agencies and organizations in more than 340 communities across Illinois. That’s why we’re focused on increasing network capacity for Illinois public safety by deploying Band 14 spectrum – nationwide, high-quality spectrum set aside by the federal government specifically for FirstNet. We’ve rolled out Band 14 across Illinois to provide public safety with truly dedicated coverage and capacity when they need it.
- March 14, 2022 | We added a new cell tower in the Village of Kane (Greene Co.) to enhance the area’s 5G coverage and help give residents and first responders faster, more reliable wireless service. Our investment will help customers get the most out of their mobile devices.
- Feb. 24, 2022 | AT&T customers and FirstNet subscribers in Broughton got a big boost in wireless connectivity. We added a new cell tower there to enhance the area’s 5G coverage and help give residents and first responders faster, more reliable wireless service.
- Oct. 4, 2021 | AT&T’s new cell tower in Springfield, located at the corner of Route 4 and Spaulding Orchard Rd., will enhance the area’s 5G coverage and help give residents and first responders faster, more reliable wireless service. Learn more here.
1 Limited availability in select areas. Internet speed claims represent maximum wired network service capability speeds to the home and recommended setup. Actual customer speeds are not guaranteed. Single device wired speed maximum 4.7Gbps. For more information go to www.att.com/speed101
2 Access from AT&T is available only in the AT&T 21-state wireline footprint. You’ll receive the maximum speed available at your address. $30 Access plan includes unlimited data for households with speeds up to 100Mbps. $5 and $10 Access plans include 150GB or 1TB of data allowance per month depending on type & speed of service. You will be charged $10 for each add’l 50GB of data usage if you exceed your monthly data allowance, even if less than 50 gigabytes is used. For more information, go to att.com/internet-usage.
3 Terms, conditions and restrictions apply. Free with Access from AT&T 12-100Mbps plans only.
4 AT&T awarded Best Network by GWS OneScore 2021. GWS conducts paid drive tests for AT&T and uses the data in its OneScore analysis. AT&T 5G requires compatible plan and device. 5G not available everywhere. Go to att.com/5Gforyou for details.
* To experience AT&T 5G+, you’ll need to be in a 5G+ coverage area, have a 5G+ capable device, and be on one of our plans that include 5G and 5G+ access at no extra charge. See att.com/unlimited for more details.
® FirstNet and the FirstNet logo are registered trademarks and service marks of the First Responder Network Authority. All other marks are the property of their respective owners.
About AT&T Communications
We help family, friends and neighbors connect in meaningful ways every day. From the first phone call 140+ years ago to mobile video streaming, we @ATT innovate to improve lives. AT&T Communications is part of AT&T Inc. (NYSE:T). For more information, please visit us at att.com.