AT&T Investments Connect Communities
In California, we invested nearly $8.3 billion in our wireless and wireline networks from 2019-2021.
Cities and communities throughout California are impacted by this investment, including:
- Nearly $2.6 billion in the greater Los Angeles Region
- Nearly $1.2 billion in the Bay Area (San Francisco, Oakland, Fremont)
- More than $500 million in San Jose/Silicon Valley Region
- More than $585 million in the Sacramento Valley Region (Chico, Redding, Sacramento)
- Nearly $455 million in the Central Valley (Bakersfield, Fresno, Modesto, Stockton)
- Nearly $450 million in the Inland Empire (Riverside, Ontario and San Bernardino)
We know how important it is for our customers to stay connected. That’s why we’re focused on boosting network reliability and capacity as we expand our network nationwide. This helps residents get the best possible experience over the AT&T network where they live, work and play, as well as supporting first responders on FirstNet®.
Across California, AT&T is committed to working with state, local and Tribal governments to boost access to affordable, reliable internet in their communities. By combining the resources of the government and private sector, we can fast-track the closing of the digital divide regardless of income or zip code.
We are also committed to expanding connectivity, our investment focuses on all network layers—from fiber to 5G and FirstNet.
- Expanding Access to Fiber: To meet the demands for reliable, high-speed connections today – and in the future – we are investing in our fiber network. AT&T Fiber® is available to 17 million customer locations across our 21-state footprint – and offers speeds of up to 5-Gigs1 with equal upload and download across parts of its 100+ metros, including Los Angeles, Oakland, San Diego, San Francisco and San Jose. We are marching toward our fiber expansion goal to cover 30 million customer locations across our footprint by year-end 2025. AT&T Fiber provides speed, bandwidth, reliability and security for consumers and businesses to enhance their internet experience for applications like video conferencing, virtual learning, telehealth, gaming and more.
- Unlocking the Power of 5G: AT&T is America’s Most Reliable 5G Network.2 AT&T currently offers various flavors of 5G*, which helps enable the network to reach its full potential. Here’s how they work:
- AT&T 5G using low-band spectrum offers fast speeds and reaches more than 255 million people in more than 18,000 cities and towns in the U.S. including Menlo Park, Redwood City, San Bruno and West Hollywood.
- AT&T 5G+ using high-band (millimeter wave) spectrum delivers super-fast speeds and unprecedented performances in high traffic areas including parts of more than 45 cities and 40 stadiums and venues including Dodger Stadium in Los Angeles and Oracle Park in San Francisco.
- Supporting First Responders by Expanding the Nation’s Public Safety Network: FirstNet, Built with AT&T, is the only nationwide, high-speed broadband network built with and for America’s first responders. Today, we are helping to connect public safety agencies and organizations in more than 410 communities across the state. It provides America’s first responders and the extended public safety community with truly dedicated coverage and capacity when they need it. FirstNet includes unique benefits like always-on priority and preemption, high-quality Band 14 spectrum and a one-of-a-kind 5G experience to keep public safety mission ready.
Here are a few highlights of the enhancements we’ve made in California in the last few years:
- May 2022 | 3rd Connected Learning Center in California. AT&T opened a new Connected Learning Center inside the Salvadoran American Leadership and Education Fund (SALEF) to provide internet access and education tools to those who face connectivity barriers vital to their long-term success. We also announced that AT&T and the Los Angeles Unified School District (LAUSD) are providing high-speed broadband, with speeds of up to 1 GIG, to Los Angeles Unified students’ homes at no cost to them. Learn more.
- April 2022 | 2nd Connected Learning Center in California. AT&T opened a new Connected Learning Center inside the Asian Pacific American Community Center (APACC) in San Francisco to provide internet access and education tools to those who face connectivity barriers vital to their long-term success. Learn more.
- March 2022 | FirstNet Growth in California. First responders in more than 410 communities across California are using FirstNet, Built with AT&T to stay mission ready. Since launching FirstNet, we’ve grown our coverage area by 25% in California. Learn more.
- March 2022 | Transforming Public Safety Communications for Calexico, California. Now equipped with FirstNet and a fleet of new push-to-talk radios, the Calexico PD traffic control division, and the entire department, can more easily and efficiently monitor the flow of people and goods into and out of the state and the nation. Learn more.
- March 2022 | Expanding Hyper-Gig Fiber Offering. AT&T Fiber is now offering its fastest speeds of up to 5-Gigs across parts of its entire footprint of 100+ metro areas. Learn more.
- December 2021 | Helping Bridge the Digital Divide in Los Angeles. AT&T launched our first of three AT&T Connected Learning Centers in Los Angeles at Coalition for Responsible Community Development’s (CRCD) YouthSource Center. Learn more.
1 Limited availability in select areas. Internet speed claims represent maximum wired network service capability speeds to the home and recommended setup. Actual customer speeds are not guaranteed. Single device wired speed maximum 4.7Gbps. For more information go to www.att.com/speed101
2 AT&T awarded Best Network by GWS OneScore 2021. GWS conducts paid drive tests for AT&T and uses the data in its OneScore analysis. AT&T 5G requires compatible plan and device. 5G not available everywhere. Go to att.com/5Gforyou for details.
* To experience AT&T 5G+, you’ll need to be in a 5G+ coverage area, have a 5G+ capable device, and be on one of our plans that include 5G and 5G+ access at no extra charge. See att.com/unlimited for more details.
® FirstNet and the FirstNet logo are registered trademarks and service marks of the First Responder Network Authority. All other marks are the property of their respective owners.
About AT&T Communications
We help family, friends and neighbors connect in meaningful ways every day. From the first phone call 140+ years ago to mobile video streaming, we @ATT innovate to improve lives. AT&T Communications is part of AT&T Inc. (NYSE:T). For more information, please visit us at att.com.