Investing in our Communities
In Alabama, we invested nearly $1.7 billion in our wireless and wireline network infrastructure from 2020-2022 to connect more people to greater possibility.
We know how important it is for our customers to stay connected through life’s defining moments. That’s why we’re focused on boosting network reliability and capacity as we expand our network. We’re working to help residents get the best possible AT&T experience wherever they live, work and play.
“AT&T’s continued investment in Alabama is helping close the digital divide in communities across the state,” said Helena Duncan, President and CEO, Business Council of Alabama. “Access to reliable high-speed internet is essential in today’s world, especially in how we access virtual learning, connect to job skills training and do business. AT&T’s investment is bringing connectivity and economic opportunity to more Alabamians.”
Committed to expanding connectivity, our investment focuses on all facets of the network —including fiber, 5G and FirstNet,® Built with AT&T.
- Expanding Access to Fiber: To help meet the demands for reliable, high-speed connections today – and in the future – we’re investing in our fiber network.1 With more than 2.9 million strand miles in fiber-optics in Alabama, AT&T Fiber® is now available to more than 590,000 customer locations in 72 cities including Anniston, Auburn, Bay Minette, Birmingham, Chickasaw, Cullman, Daphne, Decatur, Fairfield, Fairhope, Florence, Gadsden, Hartselle, Hoover, Huntsville, Jacksonville, Jasper, Madison, Mobile, Muscle Shoals, Opelika, Phenix City, Prattville, Prichard, Sheffield, Sylacauga, Talladega, Tuscaloosa, Tuscumbia and Woodstock.
- Beyond Alabama, our fiber is available to 19.7M consumer and more than 3M business customer locations in 100+ U.S. metro areas.2
- AT&T Fiber provides speed, reliability and value for consumers and businesses to enhance their internet experience for applications like video conferencing, virtual learning, telehealth, gaming and more.
- Unlocking the Power of 5G: AT&T is America’s Most Reliable 5G Network,3 connecting hundreds of millions of Americans to what matters most to them.
- From rural communities to urban areas, our overall wireless voice and data network covers more than 99% of all Americans,4 including Alabama.
- We’re working with businesses from manufacturing to healthcare to create new innovations and increase efficiencies with AT&T 5G.
- We’re ramping up performance in high traffic areas, including airports, stadiums and venues, including the Birmingham Shuttlesworth International Airport, the Hoover Metropolitan Complex and Protective Stadium.
- In 2022 alone, we activated more than 30 new mobility sites – both small cells and macro sites in Alabama. We also completed more than 900 upgrades at existing sites across the state – expanding and enhancing LTE network capacity and 5G availability.
- Supporting First Responders by Expanding the Nation’s Public Safety Network: As America’s public safety communications partner, we’re giving more of the public safety community access to their network. With FirstNet, we’re helping connect first responders in nearly 50 communities across the state.
- FirstNet includes unique benefits for first responders like always-on priority and preemption, high-quality Band 14 spectrum and a one-of-a-kind 5G experience to keep public safety mission ready.
- We’ve rolled out Band 14 on nearly 1,300 sites across Alabama to provide public safety with truly dedicated coverage and capacity when they need it. Areas currently benefiting from Band 14 include cities like Birmingham, Mobile, Huntsville, Montgomery and Florence, and counties like Franklin, Lamar, Bibb, Washington, Butler and Lee.
At AT&T, we believe every American should be connected to the internet and we’re working with governments and non-profit organizations to make it happen. We’re on track to deliver on our $2B commitment between 2021-2023 to help bridge the digital divide and tackle barriers to broadband access, adoption and affordability.
- We’re committed to providing affordable service for low-income households. The Access from AT&T plan– when combined with the federal Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP) – can provide no-cost home internet service for eligible households.5,6
- We created AT&T Connected Learning to invest in digital inclusion, digital literacy and digital learning solutions to help today’s students and their families succeed wherever they learn – at home, in the community and in the classroom.
- With 23 Connected Learning Centers already open across the U.S., we’ve announced plans to reach 50 total centers nationwide, including at Boys & Girls Clubs.
To keep up with all the latest updates from AT&T Alabama, follow us on Twitter @ATTPublicPolicy and @ATTPolicyAL.
1Internet speed claims represent maximum wired network service capability speeds to the home & recommended setup. Actual customer speeds are not guaranteed. Single device wired speed maximum 4.7Gbps. For more info go to https://www.att.com/speed101.
2As of the end of the first quarter 2023 on March 31, 2023.
3Based on nationwide GWS drive test data. GWS conducts paid drive tests for AT&T and uses the data in its analysis. AT&T 5G requires compatible plan and device. 5G not available everywhere. Visit att.com/5Gforyou for details.
4Based on overall coverage in the U.S. Coverage not avail. everywhere.
5Plans up to 100Mbps. Limited availability/areas. Free internet subject to household’s continued ACP eligibility and application of the ACP benefit to Access from AT&T plans.
6Limit of one ACP benefit per household.
*FirstNet and the FirstNet logo are registered trademarks and service marks of the First Responder Network Authority. All other marks are the property of their respective owners.
We help more than 100 million U.S. families, friends and neighbors, plus nearly 2.5 million businesses, connect to greater possibility. From the first phone call 140+ years ago to our 5G wireless and multi-gig internet offerings today, we @ATT innovate to improve lives. For more information about AT&T Inc. (NYSE:T), please visit us at about.att.com. Investors can learn more at investors.att.com.